Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Women Actually Fought to Give This Up.

I decided to give you folks a glimpse into my little world. I figure the best way to do that is to just show you what a typical day for me is like. Do remember when you read this, that many women don't want to do this.

7:00am - 8:00am: I get up around this time. I check the news. Make some coffee, start breakfast. Maybe blog some. I can sleep through this if i want, and sometimes Jeb and I do lay in bed till 9:00 or so, but not often. If I don't have to get up, I don't mind it. It's alarms I hate.

8:00am - 10:00: At somepoint I hear Jeb wake up, and I go get him. I change him, dress him, and we play a bit, then it's downstairs for breakfast. We sit at the table and eat together, then we clean up and play some more. This is my favorite time of the day.

11:00am - 1:00pm: We almost always spend this time outside. We go for walks around the neighborhood, throw rocks in the back alley, or sit up in the sun on the back deck. I usually just chill in on the swing and laugh while Jeb plays in the sandbox or the pool, or more likely... both. We eat lunch on the back deck together. Clearly my favorite part of the day.

1:00pm - 4:00pm: This is nap time. The boy always sleeps at least 2 hours, usually sleeps three, and has been known to sleep 4. I unload and load the dishwasher, maybe do a load of laundry, and spend the rest of the time playing around on the net or working in my shop. I may work outside a little, or play with the dogs. I just have some fun.

4:00 - 6:00pm: Jeb wakes up and I go up and get him. We play some in his room, and I usually read him a book until he gets woken up. Then it's back outside. Another walk, and back to the alley to throw some more rocks. Jeb carries a piece of chalk with him, so he can randomly mark the sidewalk where he's been. I ain't figgered that yet, but it's cool. It makes me laugh. We'll watch the planes and choppers fly over, and maybe watch some kids up the street play basketball. We chase the birds, and torment the neighbors cat. I usually get supper going now, so it's ready when Julie gets home. A lot of time she gets home before 6, but when you go in everyday at 6am, that's not good. We'll eat supper and maybe read a book. Definatey my favorite part of the day.

7:00pm - 9:00pm: Julie's home! We like to take Jeb somewhere together, so we'll walk down to the river and feed the ducks, or go to the mall and let him play in the play area there. Then it's back home. By now he's winding down and wanting to be held and read to. Lots of books get read at my house after 6. Once he's good and tired though, then it's bathtime. Jeb loves bathtime. We splash and carry on like fools for a while, then it's off to bed. The boy is no trouble at bedtime. We rock him for a little while and then he's either out, or he wants us to put him in his bed and leave him alone. Either way... he's gone. This is, without question the best part of the day.

9:00 - 11:00pm: me and julie chillout now. Wind down from the day. We have a glass of wine, and she grabs a bowl of ice-cream or some hot chocolate. We'll play a game of cards usually, then it's off to bed.

Tough life huh? Anyone who'd choose a 'career' over what I do has some screwed up priorities. There is nothing like hanging out with your kid, and well... That's all I do. If I work on my bike, Jeb's there. If I take out the trash, Jeb's there. If I go to walmart, Jeb goes. If I get the mail, jeb get's the mail. He's my boy.

Feminists are to good for this? If you don't appreciate this sort of simple life, then you don't deserve the pleasure and satisfaction that are derived from it.

No comments: