Thursday, March 10, 2005

Dude... I'm Gettin' a Dell

So Dell fired 30 muslims for leaving their workstations at sunset to pray. I have to say, I admire the romanticism inherent in the requirement and the practice. But apply it universally and you end up with some pretty serious problems.

I mean... Pilots and co-pilots are supposed to stop flying and pray? Surgeons, Nurses, and Anesthesiologists are just supposed to walk out of the ORs, and leave the patient lyin' on the table?

This is wear Americanization comes in. You either fit in with our society, or you don't. This doesn't mean you stop being muslim. But it does mean, if you require a few minutes at sunset, you get a job that allows for such. This is simply not possible in a modern production environment.

Two things about this shock me... One, that companies actually have the balls to do it, and two, that so far, it has stood up in court.

No comments: